Friday, July 29, 2011

Getting Started- Reese


So I thought that having one kid with allergies was bad enough, I didn't expect it to effect my daughter as well.  Neither my husband or I have any REAL food allergies.  Nothing for my husband, and I am midly allergic to melons and mango, it started when I was pregnant and then I got tested for it and I tested positive for the allergy.  But neither of us had any childhood food allergies.  When Reese was 3 weeks old I started noticing that she would have hives on her like this whenever I breastfed her


I asked the pediatrician about it and she said that Reese probably had irritation from the laundry detergent I was using and that she was too young to have a milk allergy.  I accepted that but still thought it was weird how it showed up after she breastfed, why would laundry detergent do that.  One day we were driving home from Las Vegas and I went to my favorite smoothie place Tropical Smoothie and ordered an extra large smoothie and drank it all on the way home.  It was made of milk, yogurt, strawberries and kiwis.  When we got home I breastfed her and what happened next was not pretty

This picture was taken the next day after the incident. She got a rash and hives from head to toe that lasted for days, she vomited profusely several times, and screamed her head off for hours, her poop looked like liquid urine, she was not a happy baby.  I emailed my doctor and sent her the picture, the doctor said "That baby has a milk allergy, do not eat or drink anything with milk, not even bread that is made with butter".  So from that day on I have not been able to eat or drink anything with dairy.  Now when I cook at home I can't cook with milk, soy, eggs, peanuts, or rice.  When I first found out about my son's allergies and then my new diet I was totally overwhelmed.  Everywhere I looked I couldn't find any good information on how to cook with such an extreme diet.  My new diet felt like torture.  But I have done my research, my nursing background as a Pediatric Registered Nurse has helped me, and now I feel like I have discovered all of the secrets of my new diet and things aren't so bad.  I wanted to make this blog because since this has happened to my family I have had multiple friends come up to me and ask me to give people they know advice on how to have milk free or egg free diets.  If you know anyone who has children who struggle with allergies or who they themselves much embark on a new diet, you can refer them to my blog.  I hope to update it often with recipes, favorite products, opinions, research dealing with appetites amidst allergies.

No comments:

Post a Comment